SINGAPORE – Employment Pass Applicants Will Require a Notification Letter to Start Work
With effect from 16th March 2015, Employment Pass applicants will need a Notification Letter before they can commence work.
Meaning Employment Pass (EP) applicants can only start work once their pass has been issued and they have received a Notification Letter (NL). The In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter will no longer allow Employment Pass (EP) applicants to start work.
The new rule reflects recent faster EP issuance times, but is likely to delay the date that work can be started. Employment Pass applicants who with to live and work in Singapore must ensure all their supporting documents are in order before lodging the application to ensure that their EP visas get issued as soon as possible. Applications can be lodged via EP online via the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Singapore’s official website.
Currently, the In-Principal Approval (IPA) given to an EP applicant is valid for six months. The IPA is meant as confirmation that the work pass application has been approved, and to allow applicants time to make plans to come to Singapore to work.
On arrival, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) needs to be notified before the Employment Pass (EP) applicant can start work with their employers. Employers must notify MOM by requesting for issuance of the work pass through Employment Pass Online (EPOL).
In the past, as request for EP issuance involved multiple steps and could take some time, EP applicants were allowed to work on the IPAs while waiting for the issuance of the work passes. More recently, MOM says it has streamlined the EP issuance process. Requests for issuance can be done almost immediately upon the EP applicants’ arrival in Singapore.
In view of this, from 16 March 2015 MOM will require that issuance of work passes be completed before the EP applicant can start work, and the IPA letters will be amended to reflect this change.
- Employers should begin the Employment Pass issuance process as soon as possible upon arrival in Singapore.
- EP holders should then proceed for work pass card registration(with notification letter) as soon as possible, as the Notification Letter is only valid for one month.
This article was prepared using information obtained from the Ministry of Manpower in Singapore.
Paul Hype Page & Co. is an ACRA-certified business adviser. Our team of seasoned professional can help you set up a company in Singapore very quickly and easily following all legal entities, and offer you sound advice on how to make it successful too.
We also provide the following services:
- Instant online company registration in Singapore
- International tax planning and advice
- Professional company secretary service at affordable price
To further aid you, we have provided here a resource area with industry specific information and other industry resources to help you successfully start and run your business.
We also provide the following services :
- Write a business plan – Learn how to write a compelling business plan by accessing our sample business plans, or other helpful market research information
- Perform market research – Understand your business market, learn how it can enhance your business growth, and how to properly conduct a market research for your business
- Corporate Secretary Services – If you are registering a company in Singapore, you will need a Corporate Secretary. Corporate compliance in Singapore is a complex legal requirement for all Singapore registered companies. Our company secretarial team helps our clients and their officers to fulfill their statutory obligations in an efficient manner.
- Manage your finances – We’ll offer you the best resources and information to help you fully understand all financial concepts and teach you how to perform basic accounting tasks like budgeting, bookkeeping, financial analysis, among others
Categories: Migration to Singapore