All You Need to Know About the Employment Pass in Singapore (Part 2)
Here’s the part 2 of All You Need to Know About the Employment Pass in Singapore. This guide is especially useful for those who intend to work in Singapore or incorporate a Singapore company. Please click here to read Part 1.
The application process involved in acquiring the MOM Employment Pass in Singapore may be considered a task that is hectic. You can however simplify it by just calmly following the procedure and preparing the documentation. Applications for the Employment Pass or otherwise known as EP may be submitted manually or you may transact with MOM securely online.
The presence of the EP applicant is not necessary in Singapore during the assessment of their Singapore Employment Pass applications. However, if the applicants are in Singapore at the time of application, their visit passes on the verge of expiring will not be granted an extension by MOM on the reason that the application result is yet to be known. Only for successful applications the employers are allowed to include the applicants.
For an employer that is unregistered in Singapore, a Singapore-based sponsor can apply on his behalf the Employment Pass. Such application however cannot be made online. The sponsor must personally make the sponsorship application at a branch office at SingPost.
The Employment Pass applications may be made online or manually. Please follow these steps to complete your Employment Pass (EP) application:
For Online Application
- The online application for the employment pass is made through the online portal EP Online that is used for selected employment pass transactions.
- For every submission of a new application there is an administrative fee of $70 that is charged and payment is made online with the use of eNets Debit, MasterCard/Visa or GIRO.
To submit supporting documents, at the time of submitting an application for the employment pass it is necessary for the employment agencies or companies to upload the important supporting documents. As the documents uploaded online are for purposes of verification, the following requirements below must be fulfilled:
- Documents must be in correct and clear copies.
- The scanner resolution recommended must be 150dpi or over.
- Document upload is only acceptable in PDF file format.
- The file size for each document must not be over 2MB.
- Supporting documents in other languages except in English should have an official translation in English. These two documents submitted together need to be scanned as well as uploaded as a single file.
- Assessment & Approval
- It takes about 7 days to process an application. The status of the application can be checked online.
- After the approval of the application for Employment Pass, the online In-Principle Approval letter can be printed by the employer through logging in to EP Online . The validity of the letter lasts for 6 months from the time the letter was written.
- Collection for Employment Pass
- The collection procedure for Employment Pass should be read.
For Manual Application
- The Employment Pass Application Form must be downloaded.
- Refer to the Standard Occupation list to select the “occupation” field for the application form:
The general description regarding the occupation groupings are found at this website:
Singapore Department of Statistics.
- The completed supporting documents and application form for the Employment Pass must be submitted personally at the collecting agent that is appointed by MOM such as any SingPost post office.
- For every submission of a new application there is an administrative fee of $70 that is charged and payment is made at SingPost with the use of cash, CashCard or NETS.
- The post office will then issue a “SingPost payment advice slip” at the time the application is submitted. All applications are then forwarded to MOM.
2.Assessment & Approval
- The process time takes for around 5 weeks.
- It may take longer for the processing time to last in situations where various economic agencies require additional information or in peak periods.
- Around 21 days following the submission of the application, the assigned FIN or Foreign Identification Number as well as the application status online may be checked by the applicant.
- Once the application for the Employment Pass is approved, the In-Principle Approval letter is then sent to the employer.
3.Collection for Employment Pass
- The collection procedure of the Employment Pass should be read.
For work pass applications made by a sponsor, the same steps for manual applications are followed except that on step 1, it is the Employment Application Pass Form (For Sponsorship Cases) that should be downloaded, and in step 2, the In-Application Approval letter is sent to the sponsoring company.
Alternatively, you can engage our services to ease and expedite the process and become a successful Employment Pass holder.
*For further details about Employment Pass, click here
Paul Hype Page & Co. is an ACRA-certified business adviser. Our team of seasoned professional can help you set up a company in Singapore very quickly and easily following all legal entities, and offer you sound advice on how to make it successful too.