The Employment Pass (EP) is the most widely-used work visa by foreigners who choose to work in Singapore. The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) oversees all matters related to the EP.


Among all the visas offered by the government of Singapore, the Employment Pass is the most widely-used. Below are some of the requirements in order to get yourself one:

  • You are qualified for an EP (Employment Pass) if you are an owner or a director of a company based in Singapore and needs to relocate to Singapore to personally run your company operations.
  • An Entrepreneur Pass would also do if your company is new.
  • You are qualified for an EP (Employment Pass) if you are hiring for foreign staffs for your Singapore-based company. An Employment Pass application also needs to be filed for each of your foreign employees.
  • You are qualified for an EP (Employment Pass) if your minimum fixed salary of S$4,500 and above each month.
  • You are qualified for an EP (Employment Pass) if you have earned a tertiary/bachelor’s degree from a reputable university and if you have a relevant professional experience since strong professional work experience history means that you have the required skills. This means that only those who have a good educational background from good institutions/universities will be considered. Those who wish to apply but have less than the minimum salary requirement may ask their current employers for a salary raise in order to be qualified.

Note: The job that you have applied to in Singapore must be related to your Education and/or professional experience. Any job applications not related to prior work experiences will potentially disqualify the application. Remember that there is no official quota system for visa applications and that every application is reviewed by authorities based on the credentials of the employing company and the applicant. On the other hand, here are the needed documents that every applicant should provide during the submission of application:

  • EP Application Form 8. This application form must be officially endorsed by the Singapore employing company.
  • The applicant’s resume detailing his/her work experience.
  • Educational certificates and testimonials from past companies or employment histories.
  • A recent passport-sized photograph.
  • A copy of the personal particulars page of the applicant’s passport.
  • Copy of business profile for the Singapore company.
  • Detailed description of the duties to be performed by the applicant.
  • Detailed description of activities and/or products of the company.
  • Tenancy agreement of the place of business operations in Singapore.

When the application is approved, the employing company will receive an In-Principle-Approval or IPA letter (via mail) from MOM. The letter is only valid for 6 months which means that the applicant should be able to collect his/her employment pass before 6 months. The applicant should personally collect the approved Employment Pass. Caution: Any plans of relocations before receiving the IPA letter should be dismissed. In order to issue the EP work pass, MOM requires a copy of the IPA letter, passport, medical exam report, and any other documents that were requested in the approval letter. Remember that the approval letter consists of all the needed documents needed in order to issue the Pass. The Medical Tests, however, can be done in the applicant’s country, or when he/she arrives to Singapore. Applicants should first assess themselves online as the online self-assessment is available. This serves as a preliminary basis whether or not an applicant is qualified. However, this self-assessment which can be done online does not guarantee the whole outcome of the application process.

Singapore is regarded as one of Asia’s top-booming countries today especially in terms of economic stability. Compared to other Asian countries, Singapore is more well-off and more stable. Consequently, people throughout the world especially Asians seek to find employment opportunities in this boosting country. No doubt, many opportunities have been opened for workers with great skills and services to offer. In fact, for the last five years, Singapore’s employment background has shown such a dramatic increase, which is just one of the man signs of a productive country. As seen today, even foreigners work in Singapore. However, working and living in Singapore is not that easy, but it is not that hard, too. An individual or an entrepreneur who wishes to apply for a job or promote business should primarily consider one very important thing before he/she gets to Singapore. He/she must be aware of the legalities that there is and needs to follow whatever it says. Employment passes in Singapore are not hard to acquire. They are usually easy, fast and reliable for a qualified one. Basically, they are visas granted to professionals, employees, managers, and owners/directors of Singapore companies who are not originally from Singapore.

Paul Hype Page & Co. is an ACRA-certified business adviser. Our team of seasoned professional can help you set up a company in Singapore very quickly and easily following all legal entities, and offer you sound advice on how to make it successful too.

Whatever your needs, we invite you to contact us today to kick start your Singapore Business.


More About the Employment Pass in Singapore FAQs

Can anyone from any country receive an Employment Pass?2020-06-23T10:26:12+08:00

The current regulations regarding the Employment Pass do not bar anyone from receiving one on the basis of nationality. Anyone who meets all of the relevant criteria may receive it. Therefore, any eligible person from any country may receive an Employment Pass. 

Can those who have had their EP application rejected apply for any other work visas of Singapore?2020-06-23T10:25:51+08:00

There are no laws that bar one who has experienced an EP application rejection from applying for other work visas. EP application rejections pertain specifically to the EP. Thus, one who has had an EP application rejected but fulfills the criteria for other work visas may apply for those. 

Are there any work visas in Singapore other than the EP?2020-06-23T10:24:52+08:00

The Singaporean government considers it important that all foreigners who work in the country do so with a valid work visa. Thus, it offers a variety of work visas for those who plan to work there. Such work visas besides the EP include the S Pass, Entrepreneur Pass (EntrePass), and Personalized Employment Pass (PEP).

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Just keep reading…

Join our PHP Community SG Forum - Expert Tips & Resources
Go to Top