CALL +65 6221 4733 
  • incorporate company question

Comparison between Entrepass and Employment Pass

The Singapore Employment Pass and Entrepass work visa are two types of work pass options available in for foreign professionals who wish to relocate to Singapore. Entrepass and Employment Pass holders are allowed to live and work in Singapore, and even relocate with family members who are eligible for the Dependant Pass visa or Long Term Visit Pass.

To obtain these work passes in Singapore, you would either have to find local employment, or start a business in Singapore to be eligible for the Entrepass and Employment Pass applications.

Should you be granted these work visas, please be mindful of the renewal criteria to ensure that you always have a valid work visa during your stay in Singapore.

Comparison between Entrepass and Employment Pass

CategoriesEntrePassEmployment Pass
Targeted PeopleIt is designed for foreign entrepreneurs who may have an innovative business idea with potential economic prospects; or who may have demonstrated high caliber entrepreneurial traits with records of successful businesses even without the appropriate educational or specialist skills qualification.It is meant for entrepreneurs who have tertiary educational diploma/degree, professional qualifications, specialist skills and related work experience. The Employment Pass is ideal for experienced professionals with enterprising ideas and who require a quick entry to kick-start their businesses.
Processing Time25 to 45 days from the date of your Entrepass application filing.1 day to 8 weeks from the date of your EP filing.
Eligibility and AssessmentMain criteria:Incorporate a company with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority no more than 6 months at the point of submission of the EntrePass application

  • Own 30%-100% of shareholding in the company
  • Have relevant experience and track record in creating and managing successful businesses
  • Provide S$50,000 and above in paid-up capital for the new company

Submit a 10-page business plan detailing business goals and strategy to accomplish required objectives of total business spending and to meet the quota for employment of Singapore workers.

Main criteria:

  • Acceptable diploma/degree
  • Professional qualifications
  • Specialist skills
  • Minimum monthly salary of S$3,600

Other factors which also play a very important role are:

  • Salary of applicant
  • Age of applicant
  • Roles & responsibility
  • Related work experience
  • Reputation of the company
  • Company paid up capital
  • Applicant current citizenship
Validity1-2 years1-2 years
RenewabilityRenewals of the EntrePass are contingent on meeting the two main requirements stipulated by the Ministry of Manpower: your business venture must demonstrate in a one-year period that it will employ certain minimum number of Singaporean or local workers; and reach the total business spending (TBS) for each category of EntrePass.

  • P1 Pass – 8 local employees; TBS S$300,000
  • P2 Pass – 4 local employees; TBS S$150,000

Q1 Pass – 2 local employees; TBS S$100,000

Renewable as long as you continue to be employed by the company.
Permanent Residence (PR)Eligible for application of Singapore Permanent Residence.Eligible for application of Singapore Permanent Residence.

Click here to learn more about Employment Pass in Singapore.


common asked questions about EP

Here are some common asked questions:

1) If I am holding a valid EntrePass (EP) for the company that currently employs me and at the same time, wish to start my own business without resigning from my present job, must I cancel my existing EP before applying for AIP EP?

Answer:  No, you need not cancel your existing EP. Rather, you should apply for AIP EP along with a letter of no objection from your current employer. Your AIP EP will be treated as an application for an additional EntrePass to work for another company.

2) If I am holding a valid EntrePass for the company that currently employs me but wish to leave the current post to start my own business venture, must I cancel my existing EP before applying for AIP EP?

Answer:  Yes, you will need to cancel your existing EntrePass before applying for AIP EP.

3) I am an EntrePass holder. Can I register a business?

Answer:  Yes.

4) What does a foreigner have to do if he wants to register a business firm in Singapore?

Answer: A foreigner needs to apply for an Approval-In-Principle EntrePass if the foreigner wants to register a business and act as a local manager of the business firm. The foreigner must also have a Singapore residential address in the above cases. After obtaining the AIP-EP, the foreigner will have to approach a professional firm or a service bureau for submitting the BizFile transaction on his behalf to register a new business.

5) What status is considered locally resident? Is Employment Pass Holder or Work Permit Holder sufficient? What about dependent pass and permanent resident?

Answer:  We recognize the followings as “locally resident” – Singapore citizens, Singapore PRs, Employment Pass Holders & Dependant Pass Holders.

Need to seek Professional Help?

Click here To understand more about Singapore Working Visa Guide.

More about our services & fees can be found here:

You may also be interested to find out more about Business Opportunities in Singapore and Corporate Tax in Singapore.

Paul Hype Page & Co. is an ACRA-certified business adviser. Our team of seasoned professional can help you set up a company in Singapore very quickly and easily following all legal entities, and offer you sound advice on how to make it successful too.

Whatever your needs, we invite you to contact us today to kick start your Singapore Business.