CALL +65 6221 4733 
  • incorporate company question

The Basics of Industry Specific Business Licenses in Singapore

The Basics of Industry Specific Business Licenses in Singapore.

Although most businesses don’t really require any sort of licensing to carry out business activities in Singapore but they do need to get themselves registered with ACRA (Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority).

On the other hand, a business license is something that allows you to operate a specific type of business in Singapore. In order to qualify for a specific type of business the company must be first registered.

Here is a brief insight into the basics of some of the most prominent industry specific business licenses in Singapore:


Retail Businesses

Licensing requirements vary based on products being sold:

  • Tobacco retail: license is issued by Health Sciences   Authority
  • Liquor: license is issued by Liquor Licensing Board
  • Telecommunication: license is issued by Infocomm Development Authority (IDA)
  • Pet shop: license is issued by Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA), if you intend to use a premises for display, sale, or export of pets
  • Pharmacy: license is issued by Health Sciences Authority in Singapore


Construction Business

Applying for a construction business can be a lengthy task. You need to contact a number of different authorities to be eligible for setting up a construction company. More importantly, you need to be registered with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) for work permits in order to hire labor.



You need to acquire different licenses and approvals in order to setup a hotel in Singapore successfully. You need the principal Hotelkeeper’s license from the Hotels Licensing Board additionally you need permits for housing TVs, running a spa and selling tobacco products.



You need to acquire a Massage Establishment License to offer services like foot massage, manicure treatments, and other related services.


Medical Clinic

You need three licenses to setup a clinic and carry out medical procedures. First, you need a Medical Clinic License, which is mandatory for all clinics. Second, you need a license for dealing with hazardous chemicals and third, you need licenses to carry out medical procedures like liposuctions and abortions.


Educational Institution

Setting up an educational institution requires you to acquire a number of different licenses, which are issued by different government authorities, like the Ministry of community Development, Youth and Sports, or the Ministry of Education.

These are some of the most prominent industry specific businesses in Singapore. Singapore follows strict quality and regulatory standards in all aspects and it is in your best interest to acquire an industry specific license so that you don’t face any trouble later. Be sure to contact us if you need any help with licensing your business! Stay tuned!


Paul Hype Page & Co – Acra service provider and Asean Chartered Accountant.

Paul Hype Page & Co. have 3 physical offices in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia

Our Firm Goal is to assist Foreigner and Foreign Companies to set up business in Asean.


How we can help you:

We will call you back, please click below link and make appointment with our Sales consultant:



Step 1- Listen to your Business plan and Relocation needs.

Step 2- Analysis your Singapore Tax Planning

Step 3- Recommend the most suited type of Company Incorporation , Open Bank account  and

Work Visa

Step 4- Arrange for your Spouse and Children Visa

Step 5- Assist as your company to hire staffs and handle all HR matters

Step 6-  Every financial year end, we assist you with your yearly Acra Financial and Tax Compliance

Step 7- Assist you to expand business to Malaysia, Indonesia , Vietnam and Thailand.

Get in Touch with Us Today.

Paul Hype Page