CALL +65 6221 4733 

Can Dependent Pass Holder Start A Business In Singapore

Can Dependent Pass Holder Start A Business In Singapore

Singapore is considered by most expatriates as one of the best places to live and work in the world. The city-state presents a plethora of opportunities and career development for you, your partner or any other family member.  It is also easy for your partner who has a (Dependants Pass) to work in Singapore. Because of this fact, many expatriate families relocate to Singapore each year. Although it is a preferred destination for many expatriates looking for work employment opportunities in other countries, Singapore can be a very expensive place to stay if you are not employed.

However should you wish to start up your own company in Singapore, we will strongly advise you to use our Incorporation with Employment Pass Service to assist you in setting up your company and apply an Employment pass for you.

What is a Dependant Pass?

Dependant Pass (DP) is a permit that allows spouses and kids of individuals who possess an Employment Pass or SPass to join them in Singapore. Legally married partners and children who are under the age of 21 are allowed to apply for this permit. However, holders of the employment pass must be earning a minimum of S$6,000 per month (as of 1 January 2018) for them to bring their dependents into this country.

NOTE: If a member of your immediate family (spouse and children) is a holder of the Singapore S Pass, he or she will not qualify for a Dependant Permit (DP).

An individual with a DP is eligible for employment in any organization or industry in Singapore. The marriage partner of an individual with employment pass (EP) can get a Letter of Consent to work in Singapore.

Before you can be issued with a Dependant Pass, you must meet certain criteria:


What is a Letter of Consent? - To work in Singapore

You can apply for a Letter of Consent to work in Singapore if you are an eligible Dependant’s Pass holder, or an LTVP/LTVP+ holder who is the spouse or unmarried child of a Singaporean or permanent resident.
This is an official document (LOC) given by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) to permit qualified Dependant Pass, Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) or Long-Term Visit Pass Plus (LTVP+) holders to look for employment.

However, if you want to start a business, you should apply for Employment Pass instead.

Eligibility for the Letter of Consent (LOC)

For you to qualify for LOC you must meet the following conditions:

  • You must hold a valid Dependant Pass valid for a minimum of three months
  • You must have a job offer by an employer in Singapore
  • You must be an immediate family member of an EP holder.

It is imperative to point out that your employment as an LOC holder depends on the employment status of your spouse. This means that if your marriage partner gets laid off or is relocated from Singapore, you will also lose your LOC status. However, if your employer can directly secure an EP for you, meaning that you will not depend on the status of the Employment Pass of your spouse, you will not lose your right to work in Singapore.

The requirements for an E pass are strict; through background checks will be done to ascertain your educational, professional and criminal backgrounds. This is done to ensure that your application meets all the laid down requirements and procedures. The processing time for a letter of consent takes approximately one week.

With a Letter of Consent, you can now work in Singapore.

(Note that LOC can not be a director of the company or own the company).

Should you decide to be your own boss, we will encourage you to setup your company and work with employment pass 

The Definition of Long-term Visit Pass

This is an official document issued by the Ministry of Manpower to the immediate family including step-child or a child with a disability of a valid E pass or S pass holder. This permit is meant for those individuals who wish to relocate their family members to Singapore. However, for this pass to be issued, you must meet certain conditions:



If you meet all the above requirements, you can secure a Long Term Visit Pass for the following members of your family:

  • Common-law spouse
  • Children with disability who are not married and are above the age of 21 years
  • Single step-children if any and they must be under the age of 21 years
  • Your parents, if you earn a fixed minimum monthly income of $12,000 (as of 1 January 2018)

Long-term Visit Pass+

This is a new scheme (LTVP+) was recently introduced by the country’s Immigrations and Checkpoints Authority.

LTVP+ allows foreign spouses of Singapore nationals to stay a longer period and also to benefit from the healthcare services and employment opportunities (with LOC) in the country.

What are the benefits of employing DP holders (using LOC) to Singapore Companies?

  • Increased manpower

Singapore companies will benefit from increased labor force. Those with these documents can be employed by different sectors in the country hence boosting productivity in the country and the economy as a whole.

  • Reduced operating costs

Due to the shortage of manpower in the country, the Singapore-based companies will experience a decrease in operating costs. Initially, the workforce was understaffed forcing the companies to increase their salaries to maintain them. But with an additional workforce, the costs will go down.

  • Reduced overhead costs

Since Letter of Consent holders are not considered as expatriates, there will be an increase in Singapore’s labor pool. This will enable future employers to save a lot of money spent on government levies especially when they decide to employ individuals who have LTVP and LTVP+ permits.


Holders of DP, LTVP and LTVP+ permits have a lot of opportunities in Singapore. You can start looking for employment (LOC) in the different sectors of the economy.