CALL +65 6221 4733 / WhatsApp Us 
  • Incorporation Singapore Company banner

Types of Working Visa in Malaysia

Types of Malaysia Working Visa

Malaysia offers three main types of working visa or passes. They are the following:

  • Employment Pass
  • Professional Visa Pass (PVP)
  • Visitor’s Pass/Temporary Pass


Malaysia’s visa application procedure has been simplified to encourage foreign workers, be they permanent or temporary workers, and investors to leave their home countries and come to Malaysia. With Paul Hype Page & Co, the business exploration and visa application process becomes efficient and budget-friendly. Our liaising work with the Malaysian government and the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) ensures that visa application and company incorporation in Malaysia are completed quickly.

For visitors and investors exploring business opportunities in, the country offers a Visitor’s Pass (Professional), Short Term or Long Term Social Visit Passes, and the Malaysia Automated Clearance System (MACS) which allows one to enter the country. These visas also apply to those seeking employment in Malaysia. Applicants for these passes must be at least 23 years of age (if applying for or exploring the IT sector) and at least 27 years of age for all other sectors to be eligible for the work permit application.

In addition, foreigners seeking business opportunities and company incorporation in Malaysia can apply for the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) Program. This visa offers a multiple-entry Social Visit Pass for applicants. It has a validity of 10 years and can be renewed.

Applicants for the MM2H offer are not barred from applying due to their age. MM2H visa holders can bring their spouse, domestic partners, and children (up to the age of 21) with them to Malaysia. The business visa can further be classified into the following types:


Labuan International Company Visa

For easy access to a two-year work permit in Malaysia, investors can apply to register a Labuan international company. By doing so, they would retain 100% of their ownership in the company with relatively low paid-up capital and no need for any trade license or registered office set-up. The period of time from the company registration to the visa endorsement on the applicant’s passport spans 60 days. Corporate tax on net profit for such companies can be as low as 3% and equates to approximately RM20,000. Depending on the nature of the business, the investor may apply for up to four positions for foreigners with the company’s work permit.


Sdn Bhd (Limited Liability) Visa

Incorporating a business as a Sdn Bhd company has its own visa privileges which fall under two broad categories:

a.     Fully Owned Private Limited Company

Investors seeking to run their own business in Malaysia can incorporate a private limited company which is fully owned and controlled in Malaysia. Investors should also use professional consultancy services to learn about certain types of businesses which the Malaysian government prohibits foreigners from conducting

Such a corporation entitles the owners to a two-year Malaysian work permit. To meet the minimum paid-up capital requirement for registration (RM500,000), the Malaysian government provides a period of six to nine months for visa endorsement. This provides the business owners with adequate time to arrange the capital.

b.    Joint Venture Work Permit

Under a joint venture arrangement, the investor may enter into an agreement with Malaysian companies to incorporate a partly owned enterprise in Malaysia. With a minimum capital requirement of RM350,000 and a two-year work permit, this agreement is best suited for business owners aiming to trade without the WRT license. It normally takes two to three months to process this visa. The work permit may be extended for any length of time deemed reasonable by the government.


Regional/Representative Office Visa

Business owners and employers can also opt for a two-year working visa for the foreigners they wish to employ. Foreigners under this visa category are required to sign an employment contract with a Malaysian company and their salary has to be at least RM5,000 to qualify for this visa.

The position for which the individual is hired has to be approved by the Immigration Department as well. For instance, technical- or skill-based position require applicants to hold at least a bachelor’s degree in that particular field of work if the position itself is approved by the Immigration Department. On successful evaluation of the application, the applicant and their family are granted a Malaysian work permit within one to two months.


Branch Setup Visa

For investors having their own business setup in their countries for two or more years, the Malaysian government offers an opportunity to set up a regional office or a branch in Malaysia. This branch is, however, not authorized to enter into any commercial transactions with other Malaysian companies. The incorporation of a branch allows business owners to receive a three-year work permit for themselves and their families.

For any further Malaysian visa-related information, visit our website at



Don’t leave your Employment Pass application to chance

There is always a risk when an application does not go smoothly. In Paul Hype Page & Co, we deal with numerous Malaysia work visa applications on a daily basis and this degree of engagement provides us with deeper insights on the application process. As our liaisons work closely with the Malaysian government and the Immigration Department of Malaysia, we are in good position to discern the requirements and will ensure your visa application is completed with best chance of success and within the shortest time frame.

Call us at + (603) 2181 8105 or contact us now for a free consultation.

Posted on April 22, 2015 at 6:38 am
Categories: EP - Employment Pass in Singapore

Types of Working Visa in Malaysia FAQs

What is the Malaysia Automated Clearance System (MACS)?

The MACS is a system created to facilitate the entry of foreign investors, professionals, and entrepreneurs into Malaysia. Those approved under this system are not required to fill out immigration cards when they enter the country. Two immigration station in Malaysia provide special services for those approved under MACS; these are in Johor Bahru and Tanjung Kupang respectively. 

What is the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) program?

The MM2H program is a program targeted at foreigners who plan to live in Malaysia on a long-term basis. This program provides foreigners with a multiple-entry Social Visit Pass so that they may do so. 

Are visas valid in other countries also valid in Malaysia?

Only the visas which have specifically been issued by the Malaysian government are valid in Malaysia. Therefore, visas which are valid in other countries are not valid in Malaysia. Interested foreigners must apply for a visa which is valid in Malaysia. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trinath Chandra Sutradhar says:

Dear Sir,
I am working in Singapore as S Pass . I am interested come in Malaysia as an employment Visa. How much I need to invest to get visa. Could You help me?

Paul says:

Dear Trinath,

Malaysia would have a different set of requirements when it comes to obtaining a visa. We will be able to provide you with more details, and if you would like to set up an appointment, please drop us an email at and our dedicated Corporate Specialist will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Maruf Hasan says:

Hello Sir,

I want to know about the working visa in malaysia. What should I do for this?
Thanks Maruf

Paul Hype Page says:

Dear Maruf,

Please contact us at for more information about acquiring a work visa in Malaysia.


Mohammed Salim says:

Hello Paul,

I am indian. I am looking for work visa , how i can get it from india. Let me know how many type of visa are there for malaysia work permit.

Paul Hype Page says:

Dear Mohammed,

A work visa can be acquired either through an employer, or via establishing a company of your own.

Best Regards,

Jai Amir Mohamed says:

I would like to seek advice on working visa, should my company in Singapore apply for it or Company in Malaysia apply it. I have travelled and stay in Malaysia more than I stay in Singapore. Company is based In Singapore.We have FNB bussiness in Malaysia. Currently I was departed from Malaysia due to long period of stay.Hope to hear from you soon…
Please advice..
Thank you

Paul Hype Page says:

Dear Jai,

Your company would need to apply for the necessary work visa for you, so they will be able to better advise you on what your status and options are. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,


Hello sir,
I’m Sridher, I was completed my bachelors degree in India with 7.45 GPA.
I have student visa now and I am looking for job very seriously.
Can you please advise me, Is it good to search with student visa? Or need to change to work visa.
I’m very confused about it.

Paul Hype Page says:

Hi Sridher,

The visa you are currently holding will not affect the outcome of your job search results. Should be successful and be offered a job, the company will apply for the necessary visa for you.


Ajay Kumar thakur says:

Hello sir please give me one visa reply

Paul Hype Page says:

Dear Ajay,

What sort of visa are you keen on? We have our highly recommended all-in-one Incorporation with Employment Pass package which helps entrepreneurs set up a business in Singapore.

Do drop us an email at and for more details , and let’s talk more about what kind of visa you’re looking at so we can advise you better.


khalil mirza says:

I need information, requirements and expenses for professional executive category visa for Malaysia.

Paul Hype Page says:

Dear Khalil,

My colleague will email you regarding work pass in Malaysia.


Anthony Wright says:

My Singapore company has been awarded a project in Kota Kinabalu Sabah, East Malaysia for management services on a prestigeous construction project.

As such we need to apply for and attain a Malaysian Work Permit for the undersigned who is professionally qualified and holds a Law Degree

We hope you can assist in attaining a Malaysian Work Permit and request cost, time line and details required


Paul Hype Page says:

Dear Anthony,

Our offices in Singapore & Malaysia will be able to assist with work permit applications. I have put in your request with our consultants and they will be in touch with you soon to advise you with your queries.


Lasse Overlier says:

Can you help me get a work permit as soon as possible?
I have 5 companies around the world, and are now going to do real estate
for Scandinavians in Penang as nobody does this and i am a holder of
bachelor degree in real estate.
I have ltd companies, i am not sure if i need something else here as its
just going to be me and my fiance working in the company.
I need this very fast as i have got an agrement already with a big chinese
company selling new condos to Scandinavians.
I am Norwegian citicen.
How fast can i get a work permit?
What will it cost?
I think maybe Branch Setup Visa
For investors having their own business setup in their countries for two years or more, the Malaysian government offers an opportunity to set up a regional office or a branch in Malaysia. This branch is, however, not authorized to enter in to any commercial transactions with other Malaysian companies. The incorporation of branch allows business owners to avail a 3-year work permit for themselves and their families. is the best and cheapest option?

Paul Hype Page says:

Dear Lasse,

Setting up office in Malaysia with our company secretary services allows you to have a better perspective to make wise decisions, which enable you to focus on other business matters. Only three procedures are required for you to set up a business in Malaysia which takes about 5.5 days to complete. Do drop us an email at for more details and charges. We look forward to hearing from you.


Jy says:


I want to incorporate a Labuan company and i want to live in Malaysia with Employment pass. Plz refer me to related consultancies. Or we can meet in Singapore.

Paul says:

Dear Jy,

We have offices in both Malaysia and Singapore that allows us to provide incorporation and work visa application. Will get our corporate Specialist to contact you soon.


Cheryl Lamiroy says:

Please contact me for more information on the options I have for a company setup and workpasses. I am from Singapore.
Thank you

Paul says:

Hi Cheryl,

I have put up a request to our consultants regarding your enquiries. They will be in touch with you shortly.