Employment Pass Eligibility Criteria
- The foreign professional must have a fixed monthly salary of at least S$4,500.
- Generally, a recognized diploma or degree from a reputed university is expected.
- Professional qualifications, specialist skills, and work-related experience are also taken into account.
Even if the applicant has a recognized educational qualification, this does not guarantee a successful application as the applicant is also required to satisfy other criteria such as relevant work experience and or professional skills. Similarly, an applicant who does not possess a recognized educational qualification may not necessarily be rejected for the Employment Pass if the applicant possesses other compensating factors.
The eligibility criteria for the Employment Pass as imposed by the Ministry of Manpower are intended to ensure that EP holders’ salaries are similar to those of their local counterparts, raise the standards of Singapore’s foreign workforce, and discourage employers from hiring foreigners instead of locals due to a lower cost involved. Furthermore, there are possibilities that some foreigners could have plans to enter Singapore for the purposes of money laundering or any other illicit activities. Therefore, it is extremely important that the Ministry enforces these criteria as strictly and authoritatively as possible in order for Singapore and its economy to benefit through the contributions of local workers and eligible, legitimate foreign workers alike.
Understanding the strict eligibility criteria can be a daunting task as the Ministry of Manpower’s reasoning can be difficult to understand. Thus, we have prepared a detailed guide on the Employment Pass Requirements in Singapore.
The following documents are required to submit an Employment Pass visa application in Singapore:
- EP application form which is to be endorsed by the Singapore-based company which is hiring or will hire the applicant
- Resume or CV stating educational and employment history
- Copies of educational certificates and past employment testimonials
- A copy of the personal details page on the applicant’s passport
- Photograph of the applicant
- A copy of the business profile of the company hiring the applicant
- Detailed description of the applicant’s job duties
- Detailed description of the products, services, and/or business activities of the company hiring the applicant
- Tenancy agreement of the place of business operations in Singapore
- Any documents in a language other than English must be translated into English by an official translation service.