Paul Hype Page & Co. Your Trusted Certified Public Accountant | Build Your Strong Business Foundation & Start Protecting Your Wealth!

Apply Singapore PR – PTS Scheme.

Foreigner Seeking Relocation to Singapore

Apply Singapore PR

Name (required)

Email (required)






The common mistake for first time foreigner who relocate to Singapore is not applying the best working visa available such as Entrepass or Employment Pass Visa and place oneself in one of the thousands “foreign worker” category.  It has a serious impact on their PR application subsequently. To differentiate, one has to try to move out of the “foreign worker” box and instead become a “foreign talent”.  How to do that ?

One can consider being your own boss, Singapore pro business incentive will fund 60% of your start up cost if foreigner business owner or entrepreneur relocate their business to Singapore, Click to see our PIC tax incentive scheme that will help you in your business relocation. For further information to set up Singapore business , please refer to the following useful links:

1) Type of Singapore Business Incorporation

2) Singapore Company Tax

3) Singapore Business Guide for licenses, yearly singapore company compliance and relevant business information

Further, you also need to consider of moving your assets to Singapore to demonstrate your commitment however  it can be complicated as its involve cross border tax issue. You might be unaware of your tax residence status, how to avoid double taxation and yearly tax reporting requirements. Let our experienced  tax consultant assists you in your international tax planning to lower down your overall tax position. For further information on relocation tax planning, please refer to the following useful links:

1) Singapore Personal Tax

2) Singapore Double  Tax Treaty assists you business relocation to Singapore


Singapore Permanent Resident Application
– PTS Scheme

This is a step-by-step guide for Singapore Permanent Resident Application filing for individuals holding an Employment Pass or Entrepreneur Pass. Specifically, the scheme is known as Professionals/Technical Personnel & Skilled Worker Scheme (or simply as PTS scheme). Among the available PR schemes, more than 90% families gain Singapore PR through the PTS scheme.

In order to apply for permanent residence under PTS scheme, you must be a work pass holder of type P, Q or S. You should also be under 50 years old, although exceptions can be made on a case by case basis. The PTS scheme allows you to include your spouse and unmarried children under-21 years of age in your application as well. The procedure to acquire Singapore permanent residence through PTS scheme is straightforward though it requires research, leg-work and attention to detail.

The following step-by-step guide will help you to tackle the Singapore PR application process with much ease and confidence.

Step 1: Decide when to apply for PR

The first question that typically comes to the mind of majority of the work pass holders: when can I apply for my Singapore PR?
Theoretically, you can apply for Singapore permanent residence the day you start working in the country as an EP holder. However, one of the requirements is to provide salary slips that go back six months from your Singapore employer which means you should wait for at least six months.
In practical terms, how soon you can apply for PR status also depends on the type of work pass you are holding and the unofficial annual quota set by the government. If you are holding a P1 pass, your chances of approval are high if you apply after 1 year. If you are holding a P2 pass, you are likely to have a good chance if you apply after 2 years. If on the other hand, you are holding a Q or S pass, it is recommended that you apply after 3 years to have a decent chance of approval.

Step 2: Think About Your Chances of Approval

Besides the type of work pass you hold and how soon you apply for PR, there are few other factors that are taken into consideration by authorities when deciding on your PR application.

They include:

1.    Your education background. Singapore authorities give a lot of importance to your degree and the institute where you graduated from.

2.    Your physical stay in Singapore. The lesser your physical stay in Singapore, the lesser the authorities will be convinced that you plan to reside in Singapore permanently.

3.    Your employment background and the stability of your job

4.    Credentials of your employer (the more established the company, the better)

5.    Your salary and financial well-being

6.    Your character (such as whether or not you are a law abiding citizen)

7.    Your family ties in Singapore. If you have family ties, it’s considered a positive factor.

8.    Your charitable contributions to society such as volunteering, donations, etc.

Step 3: Decide on PR filing for your children 

If you are married and have children, one of the important decisions you have to make is whether you want to apply for PR for your male children.
As per Singapore laws, the main applicant (i.e. you) who is granted Singapore PR under the first generation PTS scheme is exempted from national service. However, all healthy male children that are granted PR status through their parents must register for national military service when they reach the age of 16 and a half. They will be required to serve 2 years of full-time National Service followed by 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service per year until the age of 50 (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).
Different parents look at the National Service requirement differently. Some of them don’t mind it with the thinking that the child will be stronger and more mature after the two year service. Others are horrified at the thought of having their child go through any kind of military service.

Step 4: Download documents and review filing requirements

Once your eligibility is established and you have decided to proceed with PR application filing, the next step is to obtain the PR application forms and review submission requirements.

Form 4A document consists of two parts: PR Application Form and Annex A. The first part (PR Application Form) is to be completed by you. It asks for your and your family’s details, covering basic information as well as educational and professional history. The second part (Annex A) is for your employer, who must explain the nature of their business, though your employer is not considered to be sponsoring your application. Later sections of this report will provide guidelines on completing the form 4A.
The second document titled Form EP4 contains explanatory notes on Form 4A and this is the document you need to pay attention to first.

Step 5: Prepare supporting documents

The first order of business after you have downloaded and read the necessary documents is to get the supporting documents ready. The list of supporting documents required is provided in the Form EP4. Here are some additional helpful guidelines that should be taken into account:

1.    For each supporting document, make a copy and keep the original handy as well. At the time of submitting the PR application at ICA office, you will be required to show the original for verification. The originals will be returned to you immediately after sighting and the copies will be retained by the ICA officer.

2.    If you have any document that’s not in English, you must produce an official English translation of the document. The safest approach is to get it translated and stamped through your embassy. Make sure to take originals and copies of both non-English and English translated versions of the document for your visit to ICA office.

3.    Previous employment appointment letters, performance evaluation reports, recommendation letters are also useful. Contact your previous employer(s) if necessary.

4.    If you have purchased a property in Singapore

Step 6: Completing the PR application form

If you are married and have children, one of the important decisions you have to make is whether you want to apply for PR for your male children.
The PR application form is not a complicated application to complete and with the helpful guidelines listed below, it should be even easier:
List your education and employment history in a chronological order.
In the education listing section, list your high-school diploma and above. You do not need to list educational details below high school diploma.
If you cannot produce an appropriate certificate for a degree or diploma education that you have completed, don’t list it. Otherwise, it might create unnecessary delays where authorities might send you a letter saying that you need to produce the necessary document for verification purpose in order to further process your application.
The details of your spouse and children would also be listed in the same PR application form. Even if you are not applying for PR for any of your family members (spouse or children), you still need to provide their details in the application.

Step 7: Singapore PR application filing & Submission

Although the form states that it will take you approximately 30 minutes to complete, in reality, you will probably end up taking few hours in completing the PR application form.

Once you have a) completed the PR application form; b) received the completed Annex A back from your employer; and c) prepared the supporting documents, it’s time to submit your PR application to Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA) of Singapore.
As mentioned previously, make sure you take originals with you for verification purposes. The application has to be submitted in person. You cannot just mail it to ICA office. The purpose of asking you to submit documents in person is to a) verify copies of supporting documents against the originals; b) ensure the PR application is complete and that you have submitted all the necessary documents.
Don’t worry; it’s not some tough interview where you will be asked hard questions, rather, it’s just a simple procedure of submitting your PR application along with the necessary documents to ICA. The officer will check your application for completeness and double-check that you are submitting the necessary supporting documents. The officer will also verify the copies against the originals.
Before you leave, check to make sure you have all the originals back in your possession.

Step 8: Wait for results

Once you have submitted your PR application, the most anxious time starts i.e. waiting for the application outcome. The more you think about it, the more restless you will get and it will make no difference to the outcome. So sit back and relax.
It will take approximately 3-6 months before you receive a letter from ICA notifying you about the outcome of your PR application. If however, you did not receive the letter and would like to know the status, you can call ICA and they will inform you of the current status of your PR application. Most of the time, you will end up hearing “it’s under processing”, unless it has been approved or rejected. You will not be provided with any other explanations or reasons. In reality the operator answering your phone probably does not know the details anyway; all he/she (usually it’s a she!) can see on the computer is just the status of the application.

Step 9: Upon Approval

Once you receive your approval letter (congratulations!), you need to make one more visit to ICA office within 30 days of receiving your approval letter, to complete the Singapore Permanent Residence formalities. Typically, you will need to bring the following documents (the specific list of documents to be submitted will be mentioned in your approval letter) with you:

  • The approval letter
  • Results of medical check-up. Authorities will require a medical-check report for you and your spouse. The list of tests to be done will be listed in the approval letter.
  • Passport-size photos for each of the applicants.
  • Your EP and DP passes. They will be taken from you and replaced with PR cards.
  • Travel documents for each of the applicants.

You will visit the same place (i.e. 5th floor) and follow the same queue procedure at the ICA office to complete your PR formalities. The officer will collect all your documents from you and finish the necessary formalities (signing, fingerprinting, etc.). At the end of this, you will be handed over the following items:

·         PR identity card for you and your spouse. This is the card that you will often be required to produce (e.g. when applying for mobile phone, bank account, etc.) in Singapore as a proof that you are a Singapore PR holder. Children don’t get a PR card until they turn 15.

  • Each PR applicant will get a PR certificate (mostly for safekeeping, you won’t really use it anywhere)
  • Each PR applicant will get a re-entry permit stamp in the passport. The re-entry permit enables you to get in and out of Singapore visa free.

The re-entry permit is typically issued for five years at a time and is renewable thereafter. If you plan to leave Singapore, make sure that your re-entry permit is valid until your return.

Once you have completed the above PR formalities, you are a full-fledged Singapore permanent resident. With your new status, you can enjoy many of the benefits given to full citizens, including the freedom to live and work in Singapore without visa restrictions, priority government schooling for your children and compulsory participation in the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Scheme, which grows your pension fund. Don’t forget to:

  • Inform your employer of your new PR status. Your employer will require a copy of your PR card to update HR records and will also need to start making contributions to your CPF fund.
  • Inform banks so they can update your bank account personal details.

Step 10: Handling PR Rejection

Although receiving a PR rejection letter can be a very disheartening experience at first, remember that it’s not end of the world or the end of your pursuit to obtain permanent residence in Singapore. There are no restrictions on how many times you can apply for Singapore PR. However, practically, you should wait at least 6 months before re-submitting your PR application.

Require more information about considerations and documents necessary for Your Permanent Residency and migration to Singapore?

Fill in Our Form at our Contact Us Page or Call Us at + (65) 6221 4711.
Click here find out more about other Services we provide.


Blogs relating to PR Application

If you like to read more information on your PR application, future trends and implication:


  1. hamid
    March 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM · Reply

    Dera Sir,

    I want to register a company and apply for EP, after that apply for PR. But the question is, Im over 50. Is it make any trouble for applying PR? Another thing is my boy is 18 right now, does he have to join NS after PR? even that time he willbe above 20 ? even he’ll study?
    Could you assist me about above matters.
    Thanks in advance

    • paulhypepage
      March 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM · Reply

      Dear sir

      Please note that Singapore migration policy does not discriminate age hence as long as you meet the conditions it fine.

      We do provide incorporation Singapore with Employment pass

      As for your son, the decision depend on whether he wants to become citizen, if yes, it better to serve the army.

      You also need to know specific singapore business license to start a business and Singapore tax.


  2. Jance
    March 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM · Reply

    I wish to check, for the pass three years I did not contribute any income tax. Would it be advisable to complete the Appendix 1(PR-PTS) to allow ICA to obtain and verify my financial information.

    In addition, my previous job only worked for 3months. Would it be advisable to obtain a testimonial from them as well, or should I take it out of my resume.

    Thanks in advance.


    • paulhypepage
      April 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM · Reply

      Dear Jance

      Part of PR assessment is to know if you are financial independent. Therefore, ICA needs your permission to verify it from IRAS.


      Paul Hype Page & Co

  3. Jack
    April 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM · Reply

    Dear Sir,
    I got rejected twice for my SPR applications previously. Last rejection was in 2011 so I decided to apply 3rd time this coming May (which already book for the e-appointed dated).
    As I’m S Pass holder, 44yrs, secondary school level (without any leaving school cert.) & low basic salary. Do not have any income tax assessment.
    Should I write a covering letter upon the application? It will be appreciated if you can advise this and help how to write the covering letter. Many thanks!
    Best regards,

    • paulhypepage
      April 19, 2013 at 2:00 AM · Reply

      Dear Jack

      Singapore ICA reviews your PR application based on the material you submit. Therefore, it is important to covet a covet letter supporting missing documents.

      Moreover, it is higly advisable to file for Singapore tax to prove you are able to support yourself and family. As you are S pass. Your salary requires you to report tax.


  4. venkatesan
    April 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM · Reply

    I am working in singapore last 1 year and 10 months, Jun-13 I am going to complete the 2year time in employment pass ‘P’. I dont know whether next year contract will expent or not. I like to know whether I can apply for permanent residency , In the form 4A , i have get seal and sign from working company, if i am not able to get sign from this company, Whether I can apply for permanent residency.

    waiting for your reply

  5. NUR
    May 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM · Reply

    Dear Sir, I have been working in singapore for 12years. Currently I am holding EP and my wife DP. It had 7th rejection letter of my PR application, which I received yesterday. I really dont know what should i do. Appreciate if you could advise me on this matter.

    • paulhypepage
      May 10, 2013 at 12:30 AM · Reply

      Dear Nur

      Normally, PR rejection is due to following reasons

      1) poor documentation
      2) income level
      3) spouse visa

      Please visit our office for 70% success PR application and Tax consultation

      Paul Hype Page

  6. muqtadar quraishi
    May 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM · Reply

    Dear sir
    I currently have a p2 pass and have been in Singapore for a year. I wanted to try my luck in applying for pr. Unfortunately i have misplaced my mba degree and post graduate diploma originals. But I can provide true copies certified by government of India. Would that be okay or do I need to get the original only?

  7. paulhypepage
    June 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM · Reply

    Without a valid work pass , pr application will not be approve.

    • Muqtadar quraishi
      July 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM · Reply

      I have a valid work pass, I was asking about missing education document originals. I can provide notarized copies if needed. Will that suffice?

  8. wendy
    July 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM · Reply

    Hi, I’m from Malaysia, I’m going to apply for PR this month, I would like to know is it all document if not in English have to be translated into English version ? Including my SPM cert?? My cert was in Malay.
    What is mean by official translate?
    Thanks .

  9. Surabhi
    July 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM · Reply

    Hi… we are US green card holders with indian passports. My husband is on EP. Me and my son (4 years) are on DP. Is it possible for us to apply for PR without giving up our green card and what are our chances of getting PR. Also, can we exempt our son from application. If so what might be the implications both on Green card as well as Singapore PR.

  10. Joemin
    July 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM · Reply


    I am a singaporean and my son too. I am married to a German and we were thinking to settle in Singapore. We are currently living in kuwait as an expat family. My husband is a senior manager in a well know automotive listed company. He had a master education and respectable job level. I would like to know what requirement how to get PR in Singapore? As in most of the jobs in Singapore need to have PR or citizen.

  11. Guru
    May 8, 2014 at 8:37 PM · Reply

    I have been working in Singapore from past 8 months, currently i am holding Q pass, can apply for PR?


    • paulhypepage
      May 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM · Reply

      Dear Guru,
      Yes, you are able to apply PR as you have at least 6 months Singapore payslips and possess the working visa to apply for the PR scheme known as Professionals/Technical Personnel & Skilled Worker Scheme (or simply as PTS scheme).

      For more information at our Apply Singapore PR page.

      Should you need further clarifications, feel free to contact us. Office:(65) 6221 4711

      Like us on Facebook –

  12. Mahesh
    June 30, 2014 at 9:50 PM · Reply


    My name is mahes from India.please could you tell me all the conditions that how will i get the sinapore PR. Step by step. please.

    With reguard.

  13. Amit
    August 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM · Reply


    I was doing a job as a housekeeping and cleaner also in Australia. Also have an experience more then 3 and half yrs. Now i am in India. I am indian citizen. Now i want to sattel in singapore. Can you please advice me how get visa with work as well.

    Thank you

  14. OMIDXB
    August 17, 2014 at 3:11 AM · Reply

    I want relocate myself and my family to Singapore. Almost 20 years experience of running Marketing Consultancy in Dubai. I am bellow 50 years.

    • paulhypepage
      August 19, 2014 at 9:00 AM · Reply

      Dear Omidxb,

      Yes, welcome to Singapore! You can consider being your own boss, Singapore pro business incentive will fund 60% of your start up cost if foreigner business owner or entrepreneur relocate their business to Singapore. We can assist you in your company formation and visa application. My colleague will email you shortly with more details. Please do call us for a detail discussion.


  15. dez
    September 10, 2014 at 2:17 AM · Reply

    Hi! Just wanna to check with you. I’m asking behalf of my friend . At ICA does there have personal or officer help to fill up spr application form? Thank

    • paulhypepage
      September 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM · Reply

      Dear Dez,

      There is no help desk / officer at ICA to help with forms. You will need to engage an agent to assist you if needed.


  16. Ryan
    October 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM · Reply

    Hello. Would like to check if company is not filling up the Annex A, will it affect the chances of getting PR?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>