Company Registration at Paul Hype Page Singapore
How long can I stay in Singapore after My Employment Pass is Cancelled

Sep 295 mins

Before this article begins, we at Paul Hype Page & Co would first and foremost like to state that we truly hope the information in this article never applies to you. Cancellation of an Employment Pass (EP) can be a tedious and arduous process. It may even be unnecessary if it turns out that you will be remaining in Singapore after all.

If you are reading this right now, you are probably expecting your own EP to soon be cancelled because your employment in Singapore will soon be ending. For this reason, if you would like to extend your time in Singapore, you will need your an Employment Pass renewal. Fortunately for you, we do indeed provide services which will expedite the process of EP renewal. Through our assistance, we will ensure that you will be able to spend more time in Singapore to allow you to select your next career options.

Employment Pass cancelled may be the Best thing that happened to you?

On that note, Singapore is a country which is replete with business opportunities. Therefore, you should not be disheartened even though your current employment might be ending soon. This is because you now have the possibility of owning a Singapore-based business yourself and apply the right work.

In deciding on the visa to have for your own company, consider the visa you were previously holding:

  • If you are an employment pass holder, it is much easier to apply for the same visa under your own company.

  • If you are a S Pass holder then applying for an employment pass can be more challenging as it is considered an “upgrade”. S Passes have local hiring quotas while Employment Passes do not have minimum local hiring quotas, and there are no levies payable.

  • If you are holding a personalised employment pass and you want to start your own business, we suggest a joint venture as PEP holders cannot hold majority shares in any company registered with ACRA.

EP & Visa checker

What is the best business structure to apply for your next work Visa?

We strongly recommend the use of a private limited company. Here is the timeline to start incorporation and EP application.

“ If there is one thing I can say about Paul Hype Page & Co, it is that their role in the successful incorporation of our company was critical. Without them, we wouldn’t be where we are today as they were instrumental in getting everything from the registration to the EP process sorted with complete professionalism. ”

Day 1) Register an account on our patented platform. Fill up our incorporation and employment pass form.

Day 5) After compliance team approval, Incorporate the company with our nominee services

Day 7) Review client’s Employment pass application and advise on the additional documents that maybe needed such as Business Plan, Tenancy Agreement and etc

Day 10) Submit Application to MOM and open company’s bank account


Day 20) MOM may approve or request for additional documents

Day 30) Submit document after communication with MOM officer and working with client on the needed documents


Day 35 to 60 days) MOM will approve the application and once client secure employment pass, you can be considered a local resident director, you do not need the nominee director services.


Can someone who has had an EP cancelled apply for another one?2020-07-02T15:11:48+08:00

There is no law which stipulates that one who has had an EP cancelled cannot apply for another.

Which countries are the most common destinations for those leaving Singapore?2020-07-02T15:11:26+08:00

The five countries which are the preferred destinations of those leaving Singapore are Malaysia, Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Indonesia. These countries account for over 200,000 of the people who leave Singapore every year.

What is Singapore’s net migration rate?2020-07-02T15:10:03+08:00

According to the latest statistics, Singapore’s net migration rate is 13.1. This means that on average, out of every 10,000 people in Singapore, there will be 131 more people entering the country than leaving it. 

Employment Pass Validity

Not every EP holder is interested in being one on a permanent basis. Therefore, some who are EP holders choose to have it cancelled at some point.

First-time applicants will find that their EP is valid for up to two years. Existing EP holders who choose to renew their EP will have the validity of their EP extended by three years. Of course, not every application for renewal will be accepted by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM); certain criteria will apply.

Reasons for Cancellation of an Employment Pass

There are various reasons why one might choose to have an EP cancelled. Some might do so because they plan to permanently leave Singapore after having resigned or being dismissed from a job. Those who are planning to resign from their job in order to start a business of their own in Singapore as well as those who have resigned or been dismissed from their job and intend to search for a new job in Singapore might also opt for cancellation of their EP.

Employment Pass Cancellation Procedure

Employment Pass Cancellation Procedure

Who can cancel?

Their employer or an authorized immigration agency, in person or online.

What documents required?

  • The EP itself,
  • related pass holders’ travel documents,
  • Their passports, and
  • Cancellation form.

What happens upon cancellation?

  • You are issued an acknowledgement letter and,
  • Issued a Short Term Visit Pass (STVP) with 30 days validity period
  • You must return the original work pass and all other related work passes by dropping them at MOM’s office or mail the passes within seven days of the date of cancellation.

What to Do Before Leaving Singapore

Most people who have had their EP cancelled will spend the remaining 30 days in Singapore to complete any remaining formalities because the 30-day validity period of the STVP may not be extended. Those who have plans to continue working and living in Singapore may apply for jobs during this period. However, those who are offered a job must apply for a new EP.

Similarly, those who plan to remain in Singapore to set up a business will also be required to apply for an appropriate pass. This is where we at Paul Hype Page & Co offer our services. We offer a package that covers both the processes of company incorporation and EP application.

Those who violate the terms of the STVP’s validity will be punished accordingly or possibly even deported. Such offenders are also likely to be barred from receiving any further Singapore work passes.

Formalities to attend to:

1. Tax Clearance for Foreign & SPR Employees (IR21)

Confirm with your employer as employers have the responsibility to file the Form IR21 and withhold all monies due to the employee for tax clearance purpose. This applies to all work pass holders including Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) holders.

2. Accommodation payment and deposit matters

Those who have been renting must inform their landowner, settle any payments, collect their deposit. They must also close accounts with any utility providers and collect any unclaimed deposits.

3. Bank account maintenance or closing

The banks with which the person leaving has accounts must be notified, as well as any relevant credit card and insurance companies. All payments are to be made before departure.

4. Schools or organisations your Dependents may be tied to

Those who have dependents in Singapore must also ensure that all institutions to which dependents are attached are appropriately notified.

Our thoughts

If you are facing the end of employment and cancellation for your EP, we strongly recommend that you see this as an opportunity. You’ve travelled far, have settled in a foreign country and you know that you qualify as a foreign professional in Singapore. Stay, whether it is to find your next employment or build your own business, stay and reap the benefits. Get another employment pass to physically attend interviews or business dealings to increase your chances of clinching the next big thing. Along the way, get an experienced professional, one that cares about your business as much as we do, to guide you through.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Just keep reading...

click here to view our fourm threads

Join the discussions

  1. Jim December 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm - Reply


    If I resign am I able to continue to have the lease on the property I am renting after ep expires for 3 months? My girlfriend is living here so i want to continue renting it for a while, and i will be back on stvp. Or is tenancy no longer valid?

    • Paul Hype Page December 27, 2021 at 9:57 am - Reply

      Hi Jim,

      You will need a valid EP to lease a HDB in Singapore.

      Best Regards,

  2. Patrici Tan December 3, 2021 at 2:39 pm - Reply

    What reason to indicate for cancellation of Employment Pass if the employee resigned and not leaving Singapore because looking for job.

    • Paul Hype Page December 6, 2021 at 9:53 am - Reply

      Hi Patrici,

      You can select this option:
      Pass holder will be obtaining a new work pass to work in Singapore.

      Best Regards,

  3. Jane July 15, 2021 at 6:22 pm - Reply


    I have applied for a visa for another country and just awaiting for it. But my spass will also expire soon. Am I still allowed to continue the process? or is there any other way?

  4. Stephen February 7, 2021 at 10:30 am - Reply

    Hi! Due to Covid and work reasons, and some health (mental) issues, I am back in my home country for a few months but still on my local singapore contract and payroll.
    Question is, I may be staying in my home country for more than 6 months now due to covid.
    Can I check if I remain employed by the Singapore company and local contract but outsourced or seconded to work for our head office while being paid by Singapore, will my EP be cancelled ? Can it remain valid despite that I am working for our head office since I am on local singapore contract and payroll? Thanks!!

  5. Z February 4, 2021 at 11:42 am - Reply

    Hi- my partner’s entrepass renewal was rejected and was originally due to expire on 23rd Feb. Will the STVP start from 23rd Feb or from the date of when the decision was made (i.e. today)? Thanks

  6. Dharmesh January 22, 2021 at 9:44 am - Reply


    I wish to enquire the following:

    1) My EP Renewal got rejected and my existing employer is going to file an Appeal. I understand it takes 3 weeks to get the Appeal outcome. In this period of 3 weeks, provided I get an offer from some other company and this other company (future employer) is ready to file a fresh EP application, can my existing employer withdraw the Appeal before 3 weeks or they have to wait till the Appeal outcome is given by MOM (which can be 3 weeks atleast)

  7. Scott Mattler December 23, 2020 at 8:49 am - Reply

    My EP has been cancelled today, Dec 23rd and I am supposed to receive a Short Term Visit Pass valid until Jan 22nd. I have been offered a new job by a different company, but they have yet to apply for an EP as they must complete the 30-day job posting on the MOM government job website. Will I be able to extend my short term visit pass to stay in Singapore and wait for my EP application results?

  8. RS December 15, 2020 at 1:21 pm - Reply

    My husband’s EP is ending on Dec 31st and I am on a dependent pass and currently working on LOC. After Dec 31st, we will move to STVP. My husband has got a new job and his new company will apply for his EP on Dec 20th. Can his EP be processed before Dec 31st? Can I work on my existing LOC after Dec 31st?

    • Tiwi December 17, 2020 at 10:04 am - Reply

      Hi RS, please be informed that your husband’s new employer can submit his new EP application before current EP is expired.

      The process itself will need a minimum of 1 months. Once his new EP is approved, then you can apply for new DP and LOC. While his previous EP is cancelled, you do not have a DP and LOC. Thus, you should not be working

      Please note that after your work pass is cancelled, you will be given STVP for 30 days to stay in Singapore. If you need further extension, you may request it directly from MOM or ICA.

      Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.
      Thank you for your question.
      Warm regards