• How long can I stay in Singapore after My Employment Pass is Cancelled

Before this article begins, we at Paul Hype Page & Co would first and foremost like to state that we truly hope the information in this article never applies to you. Cancellation of an Employment Pass (EP) can be a tedious and arduous process. It may even be unnecessary if it turns out that you will be remaining in Singapore after all.

If you are reading this right now, you are probably expecting your own EP to soon be cancelled because your employment in Singapore will soon be ending. For this reason, if you would like to extend your time in Singapore, you will need your an Employment Pass renewal. Fortunately for you, we do indeed provide services which will expedite the process of EP renewal. Through our assistance, we will ensure that you will be able to spend more time in Singapore to allow you to select your next career options.

Employment Pass cancelled may be the Best thing that happened to you?

On that note, Singapore is a country which is replete with business opportunities. Therefore, you should not be disheartened even though your current employment might be ending soon. This is because you now have the possibility of owning a Singapore-based business yourself and apply the right work.

In deciding on the visa to have for your own company, consider the visa you were previously holding:

• If you are an employment pass holder, it is much easier to apply for the same visa under your own company.

• If you are a S Pass holder then applying for an employment pass can be more challenging as it is considered an “upgrade”. S Passes have local hiring quotas while Employment Passes do not have minimum local hiring quotas, and there are no levies payable.

• If you are holding a personalised employment pass and you want to start your own business, we suggest a joint venture as PEP holders cannot hold majority shares in any company registered with ACRA.

What is the best business structure to apply for your next work Visa?

We strongly recommend the use of a private limited company. Here is the timeline to start incorporation and EP application.

“ If there is one thing I can say about Paul Hype Page & Co, it is that their role in the successful incorporation of our company was critical. Without them, we wouldn’t be where we are today as they were instrumental in getting everything from the registration to the EP process sorted with complete professionalism. ”

Day 1) Register an account on our patented platform. Fill up our incorporation and employment pass form.

Day 5) After compliance team approval, Incorporate the company with our nominee services

Day 7) Review client’s Employment pass application and advise on the additional documents that maybe needed such as Business Plan, Tenancy Agreement and etc

Day 10) Submit Application to MOM and open company’s bank account

Angela
Tip: We are able to fund the company with up to $300,000 to secure a higher approval rate

Day 20) MOM may approve or request for additional documents

Day 30) Submit document after communication with MOM officer and working with client on the needed documents

Angela
Tips: Our staffs have more than 12 years prior working experience with MOM therefore can manage the requests from MOM with HIGH success rate

Day 35 to 60 days) MOM will approve the application and once client secure employment pass, you can be considered a local resident director, you do not need the nominee director services.

FAQs

Can someone who has had an EP cancelled apply for another one?2020-07-02T15:11:48+08:00

There is no law which stipulates that one who has had an EP cancelled cannot apply for another.

Which countries are the most common destinations for those leaving Singapore?2020-07-02T15:11:26+08:00

The five countries which are the preferred destinations of those leaving Singapore are Malaysia, Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Indonesia. These countries account for over 200,000 of the people who leave Singapore every year.

What is Singapore’s net migration rate?2020-07-02T15:10:03+08:00

According to the latest statistics, Singapore’s net migration rate is 13.1. This means that on average, out of every 10,000 people in Singapore, there will be 131 more people entering the country than leaving it.

Employment Pass Validity

Not every EP holder is interested in being one on a permanent basis. Therefore, some who are EP holders choose to have it cancelled at some point.

First-time applicants will find that their EP is valid for up to two years. Existing EP holders who choose to renew their EP will have the validity of their EP extended by three years. Of course, not every application for renewal will be accepted by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM); certain criteria will apply.

Reasons for Cancellation of an Employment Pass

There are various reasons why one might choose to have an EP cancelled. Some might do so because they plan to permanently leave Singapore after having resigned or being dismissed from a job. Those who are planning to resign from their job in order to start a business of their own in Singapore as well as those who have resigned or been dismissed from their job and intend to search for a new job in Singapore might also opt for cancellation of their EP.

Employment Pass Cancellation Procedure

Employment Pass Cancellation Procedure

Who can cancel?

Their employer or an authorized immigration agency, in person or online.

What documents required?

• The EP itself,
  • related pass holders’ travel documents,
  • Their passports, and
  • Cancellation form.

What happens upon cancellation?

• You are issued an acknowledgement letter and,
  • Issued a Short Term Visit Pass (STVP) with 30 days validity period
  • You must return the original work pass and all other related work passes by dropping them at MOM’s office or mail the passes within seven days of the date of cancellation.
Angela
Tip: After an EP is cancelled, all related passes tied to the main pass such as the Dependant’s Pass (DP) and Long Term Visit Pass (LTVT) will be automatically cancelled at the same time. Thus, such DP holders can no longer in Singapore and will also receiver an STVP which will be valid for 30 days.

What to Do Before Leaving Singapore

Most people who have had their EP cancelled will spend the remaining 30 days in Singapore to complete any remaining formalities because the 30-day validity period of the STVP may not be extended. Those who have plans to continue working and living in Singapore may apply for jobs during this period. However, those who are offered a job must apply for a new EP.

Similarly, those who plan to remain in Singapore to set up a business will also be required to apply for an appropriate pass. This is where we at Paul Hype Page & Co offer our services. We offer a package that covers both the processes of company incorporation and EP application.

Those who violate the terms of the STVP’s validity will be punished accordingly or possibly even deported. Such offenders are also likely to be barred from receiving any further Singapore work passes.

Formalities to attend to:

1. Tax Clearance for Foreign & SPR Employees (IR21)

Confirm with your employer as employers have the responsibility to file the Form IR21 and withhold all monies due to the employee for tax clearance purpose. This applies to all work pass holders including Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) holders.

2. Accommodation payment and deposit matters

Those who have been renting must inform their landowner, settle any payments, collect their deposit. They must also close accounts with any utility providers and collect any unclaimed deposits.

3. Bank account maintenance or closing

The banks with which the person leaving has accounts must be notified, as well as any relevant credit card and insurance companies. All payments are to be made before departure.

4. Schools or organisations your Dependents may be tied to

Those who have dependents in Singapore must also ensure that all institutions to which dependents are attached are appropriately notified.

Our thoughts

If you are facing the end of employment and cancellation for your EP, we strongly recommend that you see this as an opportunity. You’ve travelled far, have settled in a foreign country and you know that you qualify as a foreign professional in Singapore. Stay, whether it is to find your next employment or build your own business, stay and reap the benefits. Get another employment pass to physically attend interviews or business dealings to increase your chances of clinching the next big thing. Along the way, get an experienced professional, one that cares about your business as much as we do, to guide you through.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Just keep reading…

Join our PHP Community SG Forum - Expert Tips & Resources

Join the discussions

52 Discussions

1. Ram October 18, 2020 at 12:50 pm - Reply

Hi, EP renewal card can be issued when employee is outside of Singapore? She is holding EP card without validity data and QR code.

• Tiwi November 6, 2020 at 11:37 am - Reply

Hi Ram,
      Please be informed that the employee need to be in Singapore to issue her card even though for a renewal.

Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

Thank you for your question.
      Warm regards
      Paul

2. James October 15, 2020 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Hi, i have been retrenched by my company due to business needs and have the STVP for 30 days. I managed to apply for a new job and signed the job offer. Currently they are applying my SPASS to mom however they said the processing could be delay for some reason. Can I request to extend my STVP while waiting for my pass to be approved? Thanks!

• Tiwi November 6, 2020 at 11:36 am - Reply

Hi James,
      Yes, you can request to apply for further extension from ICA/MOM.

Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

Thank you for your question.
      Warm regards
      Paul

3. Gabe September 18, 2020 at 9:46 am - Reply

Hi,
    My EP validity become to end, unable to renew due not enter SG for health check.
    Do we must return our EP card to MOM cause currently reside at JB. If not return it, any fine impose?

Thanks buddy

• Tiwi September 28, 2020 at 9:47 am - Reply

Hi Gabe,

You must return the original pass card within 1 week from the cancellation by posting it to Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764. You can use EP Online’s “card return” function to tell us why you are unable to return the card.

Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

Thank you for your question.
      Warm regards
      Paul

4. Paul September 16, 2020 at 2:07 pm - Reply

I am awaiting for the Approval of my Student Pass. I have recently left my previous employment on 28 Aug 2020. I will pursue further studies and have enrolled in a Diploma Course in one of the schools here in Singapore. They have already applied for my student pass. My current Visit Pass is valid till 30 Sep 2020.

Is it possible to request for an extension of my visit pass while waiting for my student pass approval? How is the process for doing that (online or do I have to go to ICA building)?

• Tiwi September 28, 2020 at 9:44 am - Reply

Hi,

You need to apply extension directly from MOM/ICA.

Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

Thank you for your question.
      Warm regards
      Paul

5. Selvam September 9, 2020 at 12:06 am - Reply

Hi sir
    My s pass was cancelled last week
    Due to travel restrictions . because after holiday I not able to come back
    So now my pass was cancelled by my company .
    Can I apply again once the situation is stable ??

• Tiwi September 18, 2020 at 2:13 pm - Reply

Hi Selvam,
      Yes, you may apply it again.
      Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

Thank you.

6. Lana August 9, 2020 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Hello,
    Do i need to present my SPass at Singapore Immigration before my departure. My contract ended and i will be going home. can i return it back to MOM a day before my flight.

• Tiwi August 13, 2020 at 9:46 am - Reply

Hello,
      You are not required to show your S Pass if you have cancelled it. You can return it to MOM once you have cancelled it. Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

Thank you for your question.
      Warm regards
      Paul

7. Vas August 3, 2020 at 6:31 pm - Reply

Hi ,
    My employer has applied renewal request two months before expiry date but kept pending for till a week before expiry date(pending for 50 days) and my employer requested for STVP after 50 days. MOM has approved STVP as well as extended my EP for one more month from original expiry date. Still my EP renewal is pending state and i got 13 days left till new expiry date . meanwhile i started searching new jobs and got selected into one.Please let me know what i need to do to apply new EP by new employer and what to do with existing EP renewal application .Please let me know what will happen If i ask my existing employer to revoke my renewal request and ask new employer to apply for new EP . Will i get one more month extension of STVP If my existing employer revokes my EP renewal request so that i will get one month time for new EP to be approved . Please suggest on my situation.

Thanks.

• Tiwi August 13, 2020 at 9:37 am - Reply

Please be informed that you can apply new employment pass while still holding an existing employment pass. Upon cancellation of your employment pass, you will be given 30 days short-term visit pass to stay in Singapore.Please contact us via Paul Hype Page to discuss further.

Thank you for your question.
      Warm regards
      Paul

8. Mat Yuhico July 26, 2020 at 9:27 pm - Reply

Hi,

I’m resigning soon from my current job and my last day is on 31st July. I was told that I will be given a 30-day Social Visit Pass upon returning my EP after my last day. is it possible for me to apply for a short term visit pass while on Social Visit Pass for me to extend my stay in Singapore to more than 30 days? Or is it possible to just apply to extend my social visit pass? I heard that due to COVID, ICA is not as strict with the 30-days. Is this true?

Any clarification is very appreciated! thanks so much!

• Tiwi August 13, 2020 at 9:32 am - Reply

Hi,

Please be informed that you will be given Short-Term Visit Pass upon cancellation of your EP. You can apply an extension for your Short-Term Visit Pass from MOM or ICA directly. The approval is depends on their assessment.

Thank you.

9. Kenneth July 17, 2020 at 10:24 am - Reply

Hi, I am in the midst of waiting my EP approval because I am changing job from 1 company to another. In fact I have signed the Letter of Offer on mid March to my new employer. For whatsoever reason, the new EP application was done on mid May and as of now the new EP application is yet to be approved. My previous company has not cancelled my EP (good will basis) but they have informed that they will cancel it by end July. Assuming the worst case which I still not manage to get the EP approval after 30 days upon the cancellation, any way that I can further extend my stay in Singapore?

• Tiwi July 29, 2020 at 9:53 am - Reply

Hi Kenneth
      It is possible for you to extend your STVP after your EP has been cancelled with ICA. To discuss this matter further, please contact us at Paul Hype Page.
      Thank you for your question.

Warm regards
      Pau

10. Balaji July 7, 2020 at 12:45 pm - Reply

My employment is ending in July 30th & my EP will be cancelled so I want to leave Singapore and go back India immediately due to less availability of flights. So my last salary will be credited after 10-15 days of last day of employment. So my question is how long my bank account will be active so that I can transfer my salary to India.

• Tiwi July 17, 2020 at 10:33 am - Reply

Hi Balaji

Your bank account will remain active even when you leave the country. You can also request your employer to credit your final salary to you on your last working day. This can help to reduce any issues on your end. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact us via Paul Hype Page.

Thank you for your comment.

Warm regards