Singapore Student Pass Guide 2023

4 min read|Last Updated: November 4, 2022|
Home>Guides / FAQ>Singapore Student Pass Guide 2023
What’s in this article
Book a consultation for your business expansion today.

A foreigner is required to apply for a Student Pass if he/she is 19 years and below and wishes to pursue full-time studies in Singapore in a EduTrusted private education organization (PEO) that is registered with the Council for Private Education (CPE).

With the Council for Private Education (CPE)’s launch of the Enhanced Registration Framework, from 21 Dec 2009, all PEOs will need to be awarded with EduTrust to offer school placement for international students. Student Pass applications will be accepted only if they are for international students who are enrolled in a EduTrusted PEO.

You can refer to  for a list of EduTrust-certified institutions.

Who is Exempted From the Singapore Student Pass

A foreigner is exempted from applying for a Student Pass if the course:

  • Can be completed during the validity of the short term visit pass or within 30 days, whichever is shorter.
  • Is a complete and stand-alone module of its own (Meaning the course taken should not have multiple programme modules)
  • Does not involve hands-on practical occupational training and/or industrial attachment which has interaction with walk-in customers or be conducted at premises that are also the places of business, eg. Hair salons and beauty salons.

Documents Required for Singapore Student Pass Application

Here are the documents that are required to apply for the Student Pass in Singapore:

  • Registration Acknowledgement Letter from your registered school
  • Personal information, inclusive of previously resided countries, educational background, employment history and financial support
  • A recent passport-sized, digital, colour photograph taken within the last three months
  • Residential address and contact details in Singapore

Procedure, timeline and fees 

New applications are to be submitted at least 2 months and not more than 3 months from the course commencement date. Applicants are not required to be present in Singapore while their applications are being considered.

Hence, applicants are advised to apply for a Student’s Pass before arriving in Singapore as no extension of stay will be granted while the applications are under processing. Applicants are advised to enter Singapore to complete the formalities for the issuance of a Student’s Pass only after their applications have been approved. They will be issued with Student’s Passes within one month from the date of commencement of the course.

The general processing time for a new application for a Student Pass is about 4 weeks. It may even take up to 2 months or even 4 months if interviews are required.

There will be a processing fee of $30 for every application and a $60 fee when the successful applicant completes the formality process upon issuance of the Student Pass at ICA.

What happens if I want to Transfer Schools / Courses of Study?

Applicants who wish to apply for a new Student’s Pass in order to take up a different course or to study in a different PEO, are to submit an application for the transfer of school/course of study at least 4 weeks before the course begins.

In general, an application to transfer school/course would take about 3 working days to process (excluding the day of submission and collection) after having received a duly completed application by ICA. Nonetheless, some applications may require a longer time to process.

Do I need a Local Sponsor?

A local sponsor is only required for the Government/Government-Aided/Independent Schools and for Institutes of Technical Education.
For Singapore citizens or Permanent Residents, you may also opt to sponsor a foreigner to study upon acceptance of an educational institution to pursue full-time study.

Do I need to pay a Security Deposit?

When the application for a Student Pass is approved, an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter will be issued for the applicant to complete the formalities and collect the Student Pass card at ICA. The Security Deposit, if required, would be indicated in the IPA letter to the applicant.

The amount of Security Deposit (if required) is listed in the table below:

Country Form of Security Deposit Rate Per Person
i Bangladesh, Myanmar, People’s Republic of China & India Banker’s Guarantee from any established bank in Singapore or Cashier’s Order S$5000/=
ii Indonesia, Philippines & Thailand Banker’s Guarantee from any established bank in Singapore or Cashier’s Order or NETS S$1000/=
iii Others S$1500/=

Applicants are not required to furnish a Security Deposit if they are

  • Nationals from Malaysia and Brunei;

  • Holders of valid Dependant’s Pass, long term visit pass and Employment pass in Singapore.

  • Children/Spouse of Singapore Citizens/Permanent Residents;
  • Foreign students who are studying in kindergartens registered with MOE/childcare centres licensed by MCYS; Foreign students who are attending a full-time course at an approved PEO that is awarded the SQC(PEO)/EduTrust Star/EduTrust status;

  • Foreign students who are pursuing a full-time university degree (Graduate/Post-Graduate) programme, except for the University of London (UOL) tuition programme, at an approved PEO;
  • and Below 16 years of age at the point of application.


Come down to our office or get in touch virtually for an assessment to determine your best chance to study, live & work in Singapore today.


What is an Employment Pass (EP)?2022-07-18T10:15:15+08:00

An Employment Pass and it’s Employment Pass Requirements  is one of the most common work visas here. Employment Pass allows foreign professionals who have job offer in Singapore to relocate there and work. Specifically, it is geared towards directors, managers, executive or those in a specialist role. This pass is valid for 2 years and to be renewed thereafter.

Can anyone from any country receive an Employment Pass?2020-06-23T12:16:20+08:00

The current regulations regarding the Employment Pass do not bar anyone from receiving one on the basis of nationality. Anyone who meets all of the relevant criteria may receive it. Therefore, any eligible person from any country may receive an Employment Pass. 

Must all EP holders eventually become Permanent Residents?2020-06-23T12:15:52+08:00

Those who are interested in obtaining PR status in Singapore ought to know that receiving an EP will make it much easier for them to do so. Therefore, foreigners who are interested in becoming a Singapore PR ought to apply for an EP. However, those who already own an EP but have no desire to become a Singapore PR are not obliged to do so. 

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

More Business Insights

Undecided or got questions

Got other questions?

Drop us a message on WhatsApp or connect with us through our contact form.

Join the discussions

Go to Top